[Zope] Newbie Questions - many-many relationships? Zope 2 or 3?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 05:52:40 EDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Jim Vine <jim_a_vine at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> but the Zope Book (2.7 version)'s chapter on Creating
> a Basic Application all seems to be through the ZMI.

Unfortunately is the correct word there.

> Now, Zope's original appeal to me was using the
> graphical interface provided by the ZMI to create a
> collection of objects which if you wire them up
> correctly will become an application, a view that I
> think is supported by the Zope Book.

Yeah, me too. Turns out it's not such a hot idea after all. :)
Disk-based products is the way to go (often just called packages in
Zope3).

> However, this
> view, and what I've read about Zope 3 seems to
> indicate that this way of doing things is deprecated.
> Am I correct here? Particularly, if I am building an
> app that I think I will want to add extra
> functionality to after it has been installed and is in
> use, is this a particular reason to avoid developing
> with ZMI?

Yes, that's a good reason to avoid it, because upgrading becomes
problematic. Normally you want one development site and one production
site, and you want to develop the code on the development site and
then move it to the production site. But when the code and the site is
the same, this becomes trickier.

> Now, if the answer to all of that is "yes", then I
> think that steers me away from the need for TTW
> development (TTW = Through The Web = ZMI, yes?)

Yup.

> I like the sound of this a bit better - just keep
> records in one place. So, if I've followed, I let the
> the house "knows" who owns it, and if I go to a
> certain owner's page and want it to give me a list of
> all the houses she owns, it would do a search through
> all the house records to see where she's mentioned.

Yup.