[Zope] Newbie Questions - many-many relationships? Zope 2 or 3?

Jim Vine jim_a_vine at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 07:05:08 EDT 2005

> On 21.Jun 2005 - 21:59:41, Jim Vine wrote:
> > Say, for example that my Zope App in some way has
> > "House" object, which records the address, the
> owner,
> > and a short description. Later on, I may wish to
> add
> > further fields to record, say, the number of
> bedrooms,
> > but the system is already in use - if I've
> developed
> > in the ZMI, will this make it harder to make an
> > upgrade?
>
> Such a change might not be a problem using ZMI, as
> you can freely add
> properties to any object. You'd have to supply the
> data for all existing
> objects though (but you'd need to do that when using
> a product too).

OK, so there are (at least) three ways of doing things
in Zope:

1. Using the ZMI to build an application using
standard objects (classes)
2. Creating new classes to use in your app through the
ZMI.
3. Creating new classes to use in your app in Python.

Most of the Zope Book concentrates on method 1, and
the "Extending Zope" chapter is about method 2 - it
mentions method 3, but says that it's beyond the scope
of the book.

I think I've convinced myself that the complexity of
my app takes it beyond method 1, but I'm strugling to
get my head around the implications of selecting
method 2 or 3. Am I right in thinking that either of
these will result in my building a "Product"? If I
want to add extra feature to my product on the
development server and then port them to the live
server (with all the data on the live server being
left in tact), will selection of either of these
particularly help or hinder me in this?

Apologies for asking so many questions, and thanks to
those who have helped so far. I guess I'm just keen to
start from the right place at the beginning, so save
myself headaches further down the line.

Thanks,
Jim