[Zope] Re: Problem with keep-alive timeout (zope: addressed to exclusive (zope: addressed to exclusive sender for this address) sender for this address)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jun 23 13:33:31 EDT 2005

Ralph wrote at 2005-6-22 18:46 +0200:
>MS says:
>
>By default, HTTP 1.1 is enabled in Internet Explorer except when you establish
>an HTTP connection through a proxy server. When HTTP 1.1 is enabled, HTTP
>connections remain open (or persistent) by default until the connection is
>idle for one minute or until the value that is specified by the
>KeepAliveTimeout value in the registry is reached. You can modify HTTP 1.1
>settings in Internet Explorer by using the Advanced tab in the Internet
>Options dialog box.(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813827)
>
>I interpret this so: You have to use HTTP1.1 .

The "keep-alive" request header was defined by "HTTP 1.1".

While some "HTTP 1.0" extensions also know it, only
"HTTP 1.1" software must know it...

Thus, specifying "keep-alive" for non HTTP 1.1 software may
have no effect.

*BUT* Tres explained you that "keep-alive" is *NOT* the
request timeout! Instead, it is an "idle connection timeout".

The normal operation of HTTP 1.0 was:

   Client side:

      Open a new connection,
      send a request, close the connection (to indicate no
      more data).

    Server side:

      Read request data until EOF, perform the request,
      send the response, close the connection (to indicate no
      more data).

   "Keep-Alive" tells the HTTP endpoints in general not
   to close the connection (they are allowed to close the
   connection in case of errors or for other reasons at their
   discretion).

   This is more efficient because several requests can be send
   over the same connection (and opening a connection can
   be expensive).

   On the other hand, connections occupy valuable ressources.
   You want to free them when the connections are no longer
   used. That's the purpose of the "keep-alive timeout".
   Connections not used for this time should be closed.

It has nothing to do with a request timeout!

>So whats the reason that this f***ing browser using HTTP1.0?

Zope understands large parts of HTTP 1.1, among others
the "Keep-Alive" header, but it is not fully HTTP 1.1 compliant.
Therefore, it uses "HTTP 1.0" in its responses.
That's probably the reason why your browser uses HTTP 1.0
for its requests...

--
Dieter