[Zope] how to get info about an object (dir/type)

Andy McKay andy at enfoldsystems.com
Thu Jun 30 14:26:37 EDT 2005

gabor wrote:

 > hi,
 >
 > while working with zope, i many times have the following problem:
 >
 > i find a method that i can use, and the documentation (for example) says:
 > "returns the current user".
 >
 > ok, but what kind of object is it?
 > what methods does it have?
 >
 > usually i would simply call dir() or type() on the result object,
 > but those are forbidden in zope.

Use of the debug prompt is your friend. On Linux you can do zopectl
debug, get the object and then dir(), type() it all you want.

We recently released PloneShell which is not actually Plone specific,
but might be of help:

http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/Open/PloneShell

All you need is wxPython and you are up and running ;)
--
   Andy McKay
   Enfold Systems, LLC