[Zope] root folder hangs on Contents in manager iface

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 1 11:24:48 EST 2005

I have a Zope-2.7.3 installation running on linux.  I can no longer
access the contents of the root folder in the manager interface using
http.  I see the left frame which shows acl_users, Control_Panel, etc,
and when I click on any of them I see the views you would expect in
the right frame, eg the Contents and Undo tabs.  But when I click on
http://localhost/manage_workspace, my browser hangs (tested on IE
under windows XP and Firefox on linux).  I can ftp into the root dir
and do an ls and see the contents.  The attempt to access manage_main
just hangs there with a "Waiting for localhost" message in the status
bar.  I am not running a firewall.

I shut down my 2.7.3 install and did clean install of 2.7.4 to a new
dir (build notes below) and I got exactly the same problem running
2.7.4 from a clean install!  So I thought something may be wrong with
my python site-packages dir, which I temporarily hid by renaming it to
site-pacakges.hide, but this was no help.  Perhaps I have a bad system
lib?

Any ideas?  Build notes and version info below.

JDH

Build notes:

  zope> cd /var/tmp/build/Zope-2.7.4-0/
  zope> ./configure --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python --prefix=/usr/local/Zope-2.7.4   # add the prefix - default is opt!
  zope> make
  root# make install
  root# /usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/bin/mkzopeinstance.py
    # prompted for username and passwd
    # Directory:  /usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/zope_instance
    # username : zope
    # passwd   : whatever

# set the ownership
root# chown -R zope.zope /usr/local/Zope-2.7.4

# login as zope; change effective user to zope and the ports
zope> emacs -q -nw /usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/zope_instance/etc/zope.conf

# login as root at start zope
root# /usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/zope_instance/bin/runzope

Zope version info

The Control Panel provides access to system information and management functions such as database and product management.
Zope Version

(Zope 2.7.4-0, python 2.3.3, linux2)
Python Version

2.3.3 (#2, Apr 13 2004, 17:41:29) [GCC 3.3.3]
System Platform

linux2
SOFTWARE_HOME

/usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/lib/python
ZOPE_HOME

/usr/local/Zope-2.7.4
INSTANCE_HOME

/usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/zope_instance
CLIENT_HOME

/usr/local/Zope-2.7.4/zope_instance/var
Network Services

ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_server (Port: 80)
ZServer.FTPServer.FTPServer (Port: 21)
Process Id