[Zope] Database not in sync for days ?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Mar 14 11:16:52 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:56:34PM +0100, Renfer Serge (EDU) wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have some more info about my Data.fs not in sync for days.
>
> The person responsible for the Solaris server told me that he couldn't find
> more recent Data.fs from  his incremental backup than the one from the 3rd
> of march (it should be daily backuped), it is as if the system (zope) hadn't
> touch the Data.fs file ???

That is only possible if Zope is either not using the storage
you think it is (i.e. you're making assumptions about your configuration
that aren't true), or Zope is actually writing to Data.fs.tmp.
More below.

> Since this weekend crash, I restarted zope this morning, the instance was
> running for 7 hours and the Data.fs had not changed its size, whereas the
> Data.fs.tmp had grown to 147Mb (many persons importing backup, I guess)

The only situation I know of when Data.fs.tmp gets used is during
packing.  But I've been a user of DirectoryStorage for over a year
so I could well be forgetting something.

> => I went to the "Control_Panel/Database/temporary/manage_main" it was
> mentionned to be  0.0K !

That's typically just for session objects, probably not relevant.

> => I went to the "Control_Panel/Database/main/manage_main" it took a long
> time and the size of my 2.7Gb (this morning) had grown upto 3.0Gb
>
> => I went back to a term and found out that the Data.fs.tmp had shrunk to 0
> byte and Data.fs had effectively grown over 3Gb.

Sounds like packing finished.

> Does zope keep a buffer in Data.fs.tmp ?

Yes, but only during operations that need to lock changes to Data.fs.
The only such operation that I recall is packing.

> And could it be that one has to open  (manually) the
> "Control_Panel/Database/main/manage_main" to flush this tmp buffer to the
> Data.fs ?

No, that should be irrelevant.

--

Paul Winkler