[Zope] Parent process gone but children remain

Allen Schmidt aschmidt at fredericksburg.com
Wed Mar 16 13:08:26 EST 2005

Some mornings, and once in a while, our site gets backend errors from squid, meaning our zeo clients are down. But we have them restart every hour on the half hour. Sometimes the parent process has died out but the children processes are still there. So even if the  client restarts it cannot complete because there are children still there.

We use Webmin and can type in the path to the files that launched the processes and then kill off the detached children. Then start the zeo client again and all is fine.

First...How can the parent die off and the children remain?

Second...how can I make sure (using a command or shell script) that the children are cleaned up if the parent process dies or we stop the service by hand or through use of the zopectl stop command? Similar to the way webmin does it with its Process Search tool by finding all the parts and 'killing' them off.

Sort of a general RedHat Linux question with Zope wrappings.

Thanks

Allen