[Zope] strftime and timezone

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:45:19 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:26:51 +0800, Hong Yuan <hongyuan at homemaster.cn> wrote:

> >>How can I fix this?
> >>

> >The easiest way would be to use a different (and unique) notation for
> >your timezone, e.g. "GMT+8".
> >

> Well, it turns out not to be so easy. I found that even a notation like
> "GMT+8" is not unique in meaning, see
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-5189/6je7g4sr7?a=view. It can mean
> 8 hours east of GMT, or 8 hours west of GMT!!! And again zope DateTime
> seems to interprete this differently than the Linux operation system.

That doesn't sound right, I'm 99% sure that GMT+8 is 8 hours ahead of
GMT, to the east of the meridian, whereas GMT-8 is 8 hours behind, to
the west. Here in New Zealand we are on GMT+13, and we're certainly
east.

Chances are that the doc refers to some Solaris quirk. Blame Sun.
--
Phillip Hutchings
http://www.sitharus.com/
sitharus at gmail.com / sitharus at sitharus.com