[Zope] ZODB.POSException.ReadConflictError

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue May 3 12:03:04 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 11:58 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Chris McDonough]
> > This is actually normal.  See the end of
> > http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/Sessions.stx ("Conflict Errors")
> > for a short explanation.
>
> Conflict errors are certainly normal, but IIUC the OP is seeing site
> errors, not just log msgs.  The text referenced also says:
>
>     The requests which experience conflict errors will be retried
>     automatically by Zope, and the end user should never see one.
>
> I'm not clear on why it says that, since Zope gives up after a few
> tries (i.e., "never" seems an awfully strong promise, right?).

This is true.  I misunderstood the OP inasmuch as I thought he was
seeing the error message in his event log, which would be normal   It is
certainly the intent that end users should never see this error message
in a browser, but it's not a promise as it depends how the developer's
code is written.  Zope will retry a request three times due to conflict
errors before it gives up and presents the conflict-caused error to the
user.

- C