[Zope] Debugging product init with zopectl?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat May 7 12:43:26 EDT 2005

J Cameron Cooper wrote at 2005-5-6 11:48 -0500:
>I agree, it would be nice to have zLOG work on startup, but I don't know
>how easy/possible that is.

It would be very easy -- with the exception of people that
run Zope as "root" (and later switch the process user).

This silly silent logging during startup was only
implemented to avoid problems occuring when Zope starts up
as root and later switches.

Zope could easily start logging as soon as it had read
the configuration file and had seen that it is not going
to switch users.

>In debug mode (the default) Zope fails when a Product fails to init.
>This is useful when running 'runzope' since you don't have to kill Zope.
>Without debug mode, Zope will start up, but the Product will be broken,
>and its failure listed in the Products section of the Control Panel.

But unfortunately, there are errors that are not reported
via the product's "Traceback" tab.
The only reliable source is the logfile.

--
Dieter