[Zope] Re: problem with ZODB

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 9 08:14:32 EDT 2005

JV Singh wrote:

> I am using Gadfly. - the one that comes with Zope... For testing whether it
> would work or not...

OK, I just created a folder, 'gadfly_test', in a Zope 2.7 site, and
added a ZGadflyConnection, 'gadfly', using the 'demo' connection.  On
its "Test" tab, I executed the following:

  - Create the table

    create table EMPLOYEE( emp_id varchar(25)
                         , first_name varchar(25)
                         , last_name varchar(25)
                         ,  salary integer
                         )

  - Add a row with no Unicode:

    insert into EMPLOYEE( emp_id, first_name, last_name, salary )
      values( 'aaa', 'J. Random', 'Hacker', 100000)

  - Add a row with pasted Unicode (note that this is going to get
    encoded on the way in):

      insert into EMPLOYEE( emp_id, first_name, last_name, salary )
       values( 'bbb', 'Étienne', 'Jones', 100000)

  - Selected all values:

     select * from EMPLOYEE

  - Selected the non-unicode value out successfully:

       select * from EMPLOYEE where first_name='J. Random'

  - Selected the value out successfully:

       select * from EMPLOYEE where first_name='Étienne'

    (the expected row is returned)

I would eliminate the possibility of a Gadfly encoding bug by testing
the RDBMS you actually want to use (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.).  If you
can reproduce the problem, including the steps you take and the actual
SQL you are using, then submit a collector issue:

  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope

Tres.