[Zope] Keyword index search

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun May 22 11:37:56 EDT 2005

--On Sonntag, 22. Mai 2005 17:21 Uhr +0200 Garito <garito at sistes.net> wrote:

> Identify and acotated the duplicate classes (I know you are a fan of
> DTML, for example, but I think they aport a duplicate functionality with
> python scripts and page templates) to unify in one
> Change obsolete classes to the new and better builds (For example, Dieter
> says Managable Index is better for keyword index. Why don't change it and
> put on the main distribution?)

Integrating third-party code requires (at least):

 - the license of the  third-party code must be compatible with the ZPL

 - the code should follow certain coding-styles

 - someone must invest (personal) time to get it integrated

*But* since you can download and install ManageableIndexes within one minute
there should be not be  problem for you to use MI. You can not put
everything
into the core that might be of interest for somebody at some time. MI is a
good
piece of software but most people should be fine with the indexes in the
Zope core.
If not they can grab Dieters software.

> Those kind of things
>
> In my opinion, I persist, Zope has a main advantage: the OOP paradigm is
> implemented in a very fresh way and it's very simple but If it lost these
> advantages we have nothing to defend
>
> Why don't use Ruby for example (with Ruby on Rails or without it)? It's
> modern (if you compare it with python) and clear

Why is Ruby modern and Python is not? At one point you have to decide for a
set of
tools and language which you are using for your daily work. I am using
Python
since 1993 or so and it still solves my problems mostly in the field I am
working.
There is always something better in some tool or language than in another
tool
but this is not an argument to change your tools on a daily basis as you
change
your socks (hopefully).

-aj