[Zope] Still. Zope date datatype and TimeZone formatting problems.

Felipe Barousse Boue fbarousse at piensa.com
Sun May 22 14:01:56 EDT 2005

Zopistas:

I am experiencing the same problem you described by Mr. Hong Yuan in his
post a few from last March.  I have Zope 2.7.4, python 2.3.4 and
PostgreSQL 8.0 and psycopg as DB adapter.

All my dates stores in postgresql are WITHOUT timezone and my linux is
set for the "America/Mexico City" time zone. All works fine at the OS
and python level but not within Zope, it behaves as Mr. Hong Yuan
describes in the post.

I have noticed that Zope, when getting the data coming from postgresql
(the date) always takes it to be at midnight in GMT time zone.

While formatting the date for presentation, it doesn't take into account
the OS TZ settings, it just assumes data (from postgresql) is at
midnight in GMT and mangles it.

If the TZ variable is set on the zope.conf file, it actually adds hours
to the date (as like moving east), having first during the day having
the "date ok" but a wrong time and, later on the day, the date goes
wrong because of that timezone difference.

If the TZ is not set in the zope.conf file it substracts hours from the
date data from postgresql, effectively moving the date on day before,
because it assumed midnight GMT.

Doing further experiments I have noticed that when the data type passed
to Zope is "date" (not "datetime" or "timespamp", only date) then Zope
misbehaves with the TZ, assuming it is on GMT and not taking into
account the overall system (Operating system) time zone settings.

I have seen posts discussing this issue as far back as 2001. Has it been
solved already ?   Is it worth getting into the Zope code and trying to
fix it and submit a patch ? Or its already deprecated ? or...?

I believe it is still a huge bug the the Zope/Python date time handling
routines, I am correct with this appreciation?

Any comments are most than welcome.

Felipe

> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
> >Hong Yaun wrote at 2005-3-14 21:43 +0800:

> >>However, I find that strftime returns a value that is not the same
time
> >>as the original one, very likely due to some behind-scene timezone
> >>adjustment, which I don't understand and don't know how to control.
The