[Zope] Hiding HTML URL

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed May 25 16:10:54 EDT 2005

David H wrote:
> a) "It's grim to debug"
> Chris, do you really depend on their users to report URLS to support
> when things go wrong?  I use exceptions, logs and auto-emailing of
> exceptions "as a work around" - what was I thinking! :-)

Yes, well, I wrote MailingLogger 5 years ago, so I think I have a bit of
experience with this...

Now, I want as much context as possible from any error report. By having
"one url", which is a fake nasty hack anyway, you cut off one avenue of
context for feedback...

> b) (stable url will ...) "confuse your users even more when it goes
> wrong. "but the thingy in the box is still the same, why is it not working"
> Chris, this may come as a shock to you, but my users say something
> incomprehensible like "Purchase Order Edit"  "is not working" or COA
> Maintenance needs A, B and C.

Are you seriously telling me this helps you out more than if you ask a
user to paste the URL into the "url" box in your issue tracker and they put:

http://www.example.com/purchaseorders/0027/edit?approved=1

rather than:

http://www.example.com/

Being able to map a URL directly to an object traversal and method is
one of the core ideas behind Zope, you're deliberately blowing this away...

> Somehow I  know what they are talking about - and so do they.

Yes, well, I prefer specific information rather than "somehow" ;-)

> (2) Then, I said "If there are superior patterns (for Business Apps) Im
> the first that wants to see them and this is  a welcome discussion"
>
> And you asserted "... there are *many* but that are beyond the scope of
> this list"
>
> Simple disagreement! I feel its a neglected subject and should be on
> this list.

Not on this list, there are plenty of patterns lists, books, etc...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk