[Zope] DTML in Zope 2 vs Zope 3

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Fri May 27 02:26:22 EDT 2005

Am Freitag, den 27.05.2005, 00:20 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Lukesh:
> I absolutelly agree with you, it is like my words.
>
> But separation of logic and presentation could be done successfully in DTML
> too. ZPT, which have "separation argument" is not as easy to make totally

This is even somewhat correct. If people had the discipline to not abuse
the templating to do complicated logic.
The major drawbacks of DTML are:

- one namespace (with transparent layers)
- confusing naming of tags, like <dtml-var> which
  really is <dtml-print> or something
- and the extra tags for flow control, but probably
  the dtml fans can live with it.
- peoples practice to use <dtml-var foo> even inside
  html-tags attributes, where &dtml-foo; should be used.

> separated design as marketing says, for example see Plone - try to customize
> plone site to absolutelly different custom design - it is near impossible.

Unfortunately Plone is still a bad example for ZPT. It is getting
better but still it has a lot of code and definition in the templates.
Maybe AT would be a way out.