[Zope] Re: zope 2.8.4 on windows 98

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Nov 13 03:02:59 EST 2005

--On 12. November 2005 16:53:43 -0800 Alexander Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:52:28 -0800, Fernando Martins
> <fernando at cmartins.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>> I understand the problem, but is it the intention that zope is not
>> supported on win98?
>
> Yes, I believe this is intentional. Windows 98 is a seven year old OS
> with  insufficient infrastructure to reliably run server tasks anyway. At
> least  get Windows 2000, which has a decent kernel.

Also keep in mind that Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. So
there is no need for anyone especially for us to support Zope on Windows 98
in any way.

However that does not mean that Zope won't run on Windows 98. For a recent
project where we ship and install Zope on all customers desktop machines I
had to do a lot of testing especially on Windows 98. Although doing tests
on any Windows version is pain in the a** I must admit that our Zope
application (which is a rather complex application with multiple storages
etc.) worked nicely without major problems on Windows 98. Ok, I also have
to admit I could test the application on clean virtual machines running a
mostly naked Windows 98 installation...but in general as result of my
testing I have to say that Zope is running stable on almost every Windows
version.

-aj