[Zope] ssh tunnelling webdave

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:30:36 EST 2005

I am having trouble getting webdav to work through ssh tunnels. I hope
someone may be able to offer a suggestion.

running zope 2.7.4
on FreeBSD 4.9
python 2.4.

my zope.cnf file has the following under webdav-source
<webdav-source-server>
# valid keys are "address" and "force-connection-close"
address 8088
force-connection-close off
</webdav-source-server>

the server address is set as follows:

ip-address 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>

To clarify things, I front this with apache and connect to it using fastcgi
connecting to localhost:8089.
This works fine and has been for 2 years. I only want to add webdav
capability. Since I haven't seen any documentation
passing webdav through apache, I thought I would have to resort to stunnel
or tunneling through ssh. So, on my ssh client, I do the follwoing

ssh -L 8088:localhost:8088 zopeserver.asu.edu <http://zopeserver.asu.edu>

I connect and properly authenticate. However, when I attempt to load cadaver
on the client, I get a connection timeout.

Partial output from netstat -an indicates that all zservers are listening
where they should:

tcp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.8089 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.8088 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 127.0.0.1.8080 *.* LISTEN

(this done on the zopeserver)

David Bear
What's the difference between private knowledge and public knowledge?