[Zope] DateTime mess

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 07:31:00 EST 2005

On 11/28/05, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> Datetimes are dull values, they should just pickle nicely.

They do. A module with extra utilities + timezone support would be nice.

> 1. Create some extensive tests about how DateTime currently works. I'm
> currently working on this to see whether any further procedure makes sense.

I'm not worried about how it works now. DateTime is buggy and it's
behaviour has undergone several subtle changes, sometimes for the
worse, without much screaming. :-)

> 2. If we find it's possible, we rid the current DateTime implementation
> and recreate the DateTime class by subclassing datetime.datetime. For
> backwards compatability, we make sure that old pickles can be revived
> and that the old DateTime API is supported for two more Zope releases.

Yeah, it's that pickling revival that worries me. It's non-trivial.