[Zope] DateTime mess

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 05:03:24 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Chris suggests. Why does it need to be persistent?

See the use case I sketched out in my other reply...

> 1. Create some extensive tests about how DateTime currently works. I'm
> currently working on this to see whether any further procedure makes sense.

yay!

> 2. If we find it's possible, we rid the current DateTime implementation
> and recreate the DateTime class by subclassing datetime.datetime. For
> backwards compatability, we make sure that old pickles can be revived
> and that the old DateTime API is supported for two more Zope releases.

-1

Too complicated. I prefer the deprecate, provide migration utility, then
remove method...

> 3. After two releases we get rid of the old DateTime API and will
> provide a script to migrate old DateTime pickles to datetime.datetime
> pickles in the ZODB.

...yes, this. Just skip step 2 ;-)

> By the way, I only skimmed over this thread, but I haven't actually
> found anywhere explained what Hermann's problem with strftime was and a
> detailed suggestion on how his "rewrite" would take place... Maybe it'd
> be a good idea to adopt the proposal process we have for Zope 3.

As I said elsewhere, I'd love to have one datetime and timezone story
for both Zope 2 and Zope 3, and I think Zope 3 has better processes for
making that happen ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk