[Zope] Question about Stepper

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Tue Nov 29 06:12:48 EST 2005

Pardon my stupidity but is Chris Withers' Stepper the right thing for me...?

I've got a message central that accepts and sends messages. The system
has an in-part and and out-part that is quite separate. Then there's
third party code that looks a bit like this:

<pseudocode>
def acceptIncomingMessage(self, message):
    # add to the queue
    self.getMCentral().storeMessage(message)
    # process all (should be only one) items off the queue
    self.getMCentral().sendAllUnsent()
    return "cool"
</pseudocode>

The call to sendAllUnsent() I would prefer if it was done
asyncronously in case it takes several seconds. I could accomplish
this by having a cron job calling it every 5 minutes but ldeally I
don't want to rely on cron for this setup. Is Stepper the right thing
for me?

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com