[Zope] Error on starting and stopping Zope 2.8.2

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Sun Oct 16 15:29:25 EDT 2005

Andreas,
I understand both the importance of stability and the need for a security
audit at some point.  (I do wish we had the funds or I had the time to
help move it forward, but I don't.)  I also understand the need for a
consistent framework for reporting and resolving bugs.  It is reasonable
to expect that all bugs be reported against the same framework to
eliminate one significant possible variable.

What does concern me is the way in which the recommendation to use (at the
moment) Python 2.3.5 is explained.

I may be willing to accept the risks of using a system which has not yet
been audited in terms of security, but I want to know if there are any
reported instabilities or incompatibilities which have been identified
when, say, Python 2.4.X is used.

I'd rather people say that the standard reference platform against which
all bugs should be reported uses 2.3.5, and that use of other, later
versions of Python is at your own risk.  When using another Python that is
known to cause problems, it would make sense to identify the problem so
that users can make an informed decision.  There are times when there are
Python version related problems and these need to be identified and
publicized.  We certainly collect the incompatilities (if there are any)
so they can be fixed as eventually the code base will move to later python
systems.

   -d