[Zope] Re: Linux/unix preferences question

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Sun Oct 23 01:50:23 EDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:32:48 -0700, David H
<bluepaul at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I want to soon move from Windox XP to Linux or Unix (intel/amd) for my
> Zope projects.  Just wondering if users experienced with these can
> recommend versions (freeBSD?, SuSe?, Red Hat?  etc)  that plays well
> with Zope and those to avoid.

I would recommend sticking to Linux, as this is the most well-tested Zope
platform. Python on *BSD has historically had issues, don't know if that's
still the case.

My personal preference is Ubuntu Server, the recent release ships with
Plone 2.1 and Zope 2.8 ready to go. The Ubuntu people use Plone for their
web site and Zope 3 for a lot of internal projects, so it's safe to say
that these pieces of software will be well supported.