[Zope] Zope 2.8 or 3.1?

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 27 03:58:45 EDT 2005

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2005, at 21:43, HaraldFinnås wrote:
>
>> I've also seen comments that running Zope on RHEL/CentOS might not
>> be wise. My test env. is using FC4, but I'm planning to install
>> CenOS 4.2 on the production server. Unwise choice?
>

> I'd be curious to find out who says something like that. It's BS.
> Zope runs perfectly fine on all RHEL-based distributions.
>
> The only issues you might ever run into would be problems with the
> Python that comes with the OS. But then again if you run Zope in
> production you should never ever use the system Python and build your
> own instead. The system Python tends to be compiled with weird flags
> on RH-based distros to suit their own needs for the many Python-based
> scripts they have in the OS. Don't use it, build your own.

well, on larger shops like ours, the sysadms always want to know why we
introduce Yet Another Non-Standard Component to the system setup that
cannot be RPM'ed like the rest. And I am not talking across pythoin
versions, but oin the same release series (ie. 2.3, etc)

I know it is more convenient to self.compile()  the python, but it is
always hard to argue with the sysadms on this issue. Our current
solution is to provide a precomipiled rpm with the pythons we want to use.

Why is that the standard os-distributed pythons do not work with zope?
They seem to work with other python sw...

/dario - being curious...

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley