[Zope] Re: Zope scalabilty and problems

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 08:37:08 EDT 2005

Hi Dieter,

Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>I am setting up sites using Plone and am concerned to read some of the
>>comments on it. Is it really that bad performance wise?
>
> No, it is not.

...I agree, if it is correctly set up and optimised, which isn't the
case if someone is here complaining about performance, which sadly, new
users blown away by Plone's functionality often are...

> It is just that the CMF is unable to fix a year long bug
> which affects Windows only when Zope is run in debug mode:
>
>       then each access to a "filesystem directory view" triggers
>       a hierarchical file system scan.
>
>       The result is a slowdown by several orders of magnitude.

FWIW, my experiences with Plone are predominantly on Linux, and that's
what my comments are based on...

> The problem disappears when you either:
>
>   *  turn off "debug mode"

Yes, this is a biggie. Thankfully, I believe newer versions of Zope ship
with this turned off by default?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk