[Zope] Re: Zope scalabilty and problems

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 08:39:27 EDT 2005

michael nt milne wrote:
> I am setting up sites using Plone and am concerned to read some of the
> comments on it. Is it really that bad performance wise?

"it depends", unless you have a lot of experience with it, Zope and CMF,
you might well find yourself with a slow site on your hands and not many
apparent options ;-)

> I'm using
> CMFMember also-why is it 'apalling'?

It's an incredibly heavyweight and inefficient solution to a problem
that requires an extremely fast and efficient solution: user object are
used a LOT in most Zope apps, CMFMember makes them slow, in a numbner of
ways. Generating writes which result in AT-based member objects being
reindexed and often resulting in conflicterrors that dramatically slow
down a site is not a good thing...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk