[Zope] FYI on Debian 3.1/zope Re: Images too (StructuredDocument size limit reduced after 2.5.1 to 2.7.5 upgrade)

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 15:39:40 EDT 2005

Aloha,

> > That was what I needed, the parameter name...my sysadmin set it low
> > for security reasons, not realizing....

> Clueless overly paranoid sysadmins strike again ;-)

No actually, he's very clueful and security-conscious, and I was
mistaken about how it got set that low, it appears to be a debian
package default setting.

FYI anyone upgrading to the recent Debian 3.1 release (sarge), the
default in the config file in the zope package (2.7.5 final) in sarge
has cgi-maxlen set quite low, 10000 if I recall correctly, to block
potential DOS attacks according to the comment on the setting (Debian
is perhaps a bit paranoid in this case...).

So a default debian upgrade will leave you with a very small cgi-maxlen
in the zope config file - be sure to check it and change it if needed.

cheers,
John S.