[Zope] Vservers and ZOPE

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 11:51:37 EDT 2005

Hi Benmania,

Benmania Guin wrote:
> I have some experience with Zope on my desktop pc with an WIN XP operating system. Now I want to order my own virtual server but I am unsure about the features I will need and I do not know how to install ZOPE on such a system at all.
> Can you give me any advice what features I will certainly need, e.g. SSH(?), Root access(?)?
> Can you tell me where I can find more infos about this issue (installing ZOPE on different VServers with different OSs)?

I've just ordered the "Zope Virtual Server" from Zettai, which seemed to
mysteriously morph from a Zope instance to a virtual server part way
through the sign up process - which I am very happy about.

I wouldn't have chosen a virtual server initially, because all my
experience is Win32 and I don't have time to learn for this project.
However, it feels like the best of both worlds - I didn't have to set
Zope up at all, it was all in place for me (Zope 2.8.1, Plone 2.1 + the
"classic" products I'd have expected to install), and I get SSH and Root
access more or less as a bonus. The only thing I have had to get my head
around is the file system - but that hasn't been hard at all.

You might consider a Zettai account, or you might want to see how they
do it, 'cos they seem to have got it right from my PoV. Put it this way
- I bought a second identical account less than a week later for a
personal project.

> I hope my inquiries were not too trivial to be answered.

Not at all - this is important!

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk
PGP Public key: http://www.xfr.co.uk
Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"You'll find that one part's sweet and one part's tart:
say where the sweetness and the sourness start."
- Tony Harrison