[Zope] Install 2.9.2 fails with "error: must supply either home or prefix/exec-prefix -- not both"

Jerry Westrick jerry at westrick.com
Mon Apr 17 06:02:17 EDT 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 11:10, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> > My question now is this a bug in Zope 2.9.2 installation, or in
> > SUSE 10.1 RC1?
> > The answer to that will decide where I look to fix it....
>
> Very simple test: Compile Python yourself. Do not use the
> distribution package. Then try building Zope 2.9.2 against the self-
> compiled Python. If it works fine then it's a SuSE fault.
>
> Python packages shipped with distributions are known to show various
> weirdnesses. For production setups I would never even consider using
> the built-in Python, regardless of distribution.
>
> jens

Well Jens, I disagree.

If I where to build my own python, I would have to do formal testing
on all packages which require python, which are quite a few.

If I follow your philosophy to it's logical conclusion,
then I'd end up rolling my own linux, and having a
"private" distribution for each production machine.

The amount of time, work and know-how required to
maintain such a setup is simply not feasible in my case.

I therefore depend on SUSE to do the security, maintenance, and
configuration for me.  That is what a distribution is all about right?

As I am defining the new setup for our servers (new and old), I thought
it would be to our advantage to use the latest 2.9.2 Zope2 release.  This
would allow me to have the newest technologies available for future projects.

And leave the door open to do a smooth Zope2 to Zope3 migration.

The version of Zope delivered with SUSE is 2.7.8.  My other choice is to stick
with that....

Jerry