[Zope] Install 2.9.2 fails with "error: must supply either home or prefix/exec-prefix -- not both"

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Apr 17 07:52:14 EDT 2006

> Jens,  I thought that the linus file standard (what ever its
> called) was to
> use "/usr" when a user installs product and to "/opt" when it is a
> "Distro"
> product, in other words the place where a product is installed
> should not be
> hard coded.

So you tell Python to install into "/opt", it does not matter. My
point is that you do not want to replace/clobber the system Python. I
have a feeling you are looking at this as some super-complicated
thing. This is not rocket science.

> At any-rate the problems seams to be that you use a variable out of
> the Python
> distribution (which defines where python is installed) as the place to
> install zope (as defined by the config variable).

Huh? I have no idea what you are talking about. You can configure the
Python source package to install wherever you want, and the same is
true for Zope. Where Zope lives has exactly *zero* relationship to
where Python lives.

> From my programming experience, I really expect that you got a name
> clash in
> your installation routines.

Again, no idea what you are talking about. The self-built Python is
an entirely self-contained environment. You never ever touch any
system Python packages when you build/run Zope off of a self-compiled
Python.

> So as this is an all volunteer effort, I'm volunteering today, to
> try to hunt
> it down.  Although a single day to understand a system as compley
> as the
> installation of zope is probably ludicrous.  But I do have the
> machines setup
> and profesional tools to use...
>
> Can anybody help me in my goal of tracking this down?

Honestly, I think you're wasting your time. Even if you track this
particular problem down (it *is* most likely the messed-up Python
package the distribution ships) then that will not make your Zope
install (or that system Python) any more "supported" as it is now.
Which is "not".

Let me reiterate: Building on top of Python as shipped by some
distribution, or using Zope as shipped with some distribution, will
almost always get you blank stares when you ask questions on the Zope
lists. If you want help and run a "supported" system, follow Andreas'
and my advice and build Python and Zope from source. And again,
*where* you put the two is *entirely* up to you, you should just
ensure you do not overwrite any system Python packages.

jens