[Zope] REQUEST.form variables order

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Apr 20 06:09:08 EDT 2006

Gaute Amundsen schrieb:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 21:47, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>>Gaute Amundsen wrote:
>>
>>>I want to retrieve the form fields in the order that they where submitted
>>
>>I'd say blaming zope for not reading the docs is somewhat arrogant .-)
>

> I have been reading the docs for thee last 3 years my friend.
> Could you please specify _which_ docs you are refering to here?
> And what do they say that has a bearing on this?

For example how to construct sane formulars? ;)
> <snip>
>
>>>To painstakingly alter them all to add this sequence ordering
>>>information, just because zope refuses to do as every other scripting
>>>system out there that I am aware of, is just out of the queston.
>>
>>Sorry, not getting the problem. Last time I saw the formholemail.pl,
>>it used named form variables. You can easily access form variables
>>by name in Zope.
>

> Hm.. ok.
> I have these 100 forms, all over the place. They live in user editable html.

Bad concept, but there you are. I bet this isnt the only thing you
want to change while you go to an application server (like zope).

> To have to track down and alter them all is out of the question.
> Yet the users expect the form fields to appear in their emails in the order
> that they put them on the page.

Well now thats interesting. I see to: cc: subject: and body
elements and their respective form elements. What kind of
other order should be preserved? Its does not matter in which
order mime-headers appear (in fact you dont even see that
in most MUAs)

> You seem to know formmail.pl, so you know that part :)

Not the field ordering part. What other elements exist which
need to preserve arbitrary ordering? (Beside the effect
if you have more then one to: oder more then one body
form element (same name) you get a list with ordering
preserved obviously.

>>>My best Idea so far, is to use the apache proxying we use anyway, to run
>>>all requests to this url through a small perl or php proxy, that ads the
>>>ordering info to the POST.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any better ideas?
>>
>>Yes. Give the description of your real problem. With more details please!
>>Show example form as it is and where exactly your problem is.
>>

> How to retrieve the field order from the http post request.

No, thats not your problem. Thats the solution you are seeking
to what you think is your problem :-) Maybe it is maybe not.
Please show us an example of the situation you are facing.
I believe there can be a simpler solution to it.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain