[Zope] How can i improve performance of website under heavy load in Zope2.6.1

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Thu Aug 3 06:57:27 EDT 2006

On 31. Jul 2006, at 09:13, Sudesh Soni wrote:

> I wonder why Zope is default set for handling 4 threads and 7
> database connections.

These are good values under normal circumstances.

> I tried inreasing threads to 20 and database connections to 30 by
> updating z2.py and DB.py, presuming that this will help to improve
> performance under heavy load.
>
> Can anyone suggest what impact will be there if i do this , in Zope
> 2.6.1

Zope is not Apache. Increasing the number of threads is unlikely to
help performance unless, perhaps, when you have a heavily loaded
RDBMS backing your Zope and see threads "hanging" waiting for the
RDBMS to respond.

> OR
>
> Can anyone suggest any other option to improve performance under
> heavy load in Zope 2.6.1

Figure out why your Zope is slow. Is it CPU bound or I/O bound? Use a
profiler to analyze your code (PTProfiler, ZopeProfiler). Set up ZEO
+ multiple ZEO clients, if need be on multiple boxes. And put a cache
in front, Squid works well.

Stefan

--
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen,
causes something else to happen.  --Douglas Adams