[Zope] Zope 2.9 Product Refreshing

James Davies zope-list at foomatic.net
Mon Aug 7 07:47:37 EDT 2006

Hi. I've been attempting to develop products with Zope 2.9, and am finding
it increasingly difficult and slow to do so as Product refreshing no longer
works.

Google shows up a few results from mailing lists with somewhat negative
about fixing it, as they don't see a real need for it).

However, as a zope restart seems to take a good 5-10 seconds on my high end
workstation (AthlonX2 4800+) with all the essentiall products installed
(Plone, archetypes etc, plus my application), it's starting to become a
major problem.

as an example, I spent about three hours today debugging a problem, 90% of
which was wasted waiting for zope restarts after making small changes and
adding trace print statements. If I was able to refresh the product I would
likely have taken less than half an hour.

Another major issue I've discovered is Zope hosting. We reguarly deploy
custom sites on shared zope environments, and having to restart an entire
server just to update one product severely breaks our uptime guarentee.

I'm afraid we are going to have no choice but to either drop back to Zope
2.8, or ditch Zope entirely- something I'd prefer not to have to do with our
large codebase.

I'm hoping I can garner some support to get the zope developers to fix the
problem. Failing that, ANY information pointing me in the right direction
would be helpful, as I'm more than happy to fix it myself and submit a
patch.

If anyone else is finding this a problem, please reply in this thread. :-)

Thanks in advance.
   James.