[Zope] "Pausing" ZCatalog and re-indexing later

krokodylek at tenbit.pl krokodylek at tenbit.pl
Fri Aug 11 17:10:29 EDT 2006

Hi :-)

The system I am working on is using a ZCatalog with some indexes (over 10) for faster searching.

Unfortunatelly there are some use cases, where I have to add really many new objects to ZODB. It works, but very slowly. I suspect that this is because when I add an object to Folder (with _setObject) it gets indexed - couple thousands of objects multiplied by over 10 indexes = looooong.

Am I guessing right or am I completely lost? ;-)

If this is the probable reason - is there some way I could disable indexing temporarily and after adding all of the objects make it re-index the new ones? I think that even a full re-index would work faster than it works now...

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Maciek