[Zope] Log Files Not Logging

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:16:12 EDT 2006

The log rotation process is simple.  Rename the logs to whatever
name you want to use for archival purposes.  Then (assuming you are
using the usual setup and zopectl:

# zopectl> logreopen

which will close and reopen the logs.

The behavior you observed is exactly the Unix behavior that would be
expected, since the log files were open.  When you overwrote the log
file, you created a new file (Z2.log) but the old file (once called
Z2.log) remained open.  Normally it would have been deleted, but since
Zope had it open, it remains open and won't be deleted until it is
closed.  I hope you made a copy of the old Z2.log if it is important;
absent some significant recovery hacking, it's most likely going to
disappear when you execute logreopen from zopectl or restart zope.