[Zope] accelerating Zope restart

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Aug 31 10:50:44 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:23:06PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> egf05 at doc.ic.ac.uk wrote:
> >My Data.fs is huge (21GB) because it contains many video files. This is
> >not a
> >problem in itself, however, I recently had to reboot my machine and now
> >zope
> >takes around 20-30 minutes to restart. Is a fstest automatically done ? How
> >could I accelerate the restarting, if possible ?
>
> Use ZEO.

I can see how that could let Zope restart faster.  But
ZEO can have *severe* performance implications for large blobs
such as videos.  See the bottom of
http://www.slinkp.com/code/zopestuff/blobnotes

Maybe worth noting that DirectoryStorage starts up fast regardless of
storage size.  http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/

It also does not require RAM proportional to storage size.
It is also very reliable and has some other nice features.
The downsides:
- You need a filesystem that can handle very large number of tiny files.
- Packing is VERY slow (21 GB could easily take all night).
- Somewhat slower than Filestorage in general.
- Requires more disk space (+30%).

This page is old but maybe still useful:
http://cvs.zope.org/ZODB3/Doc/storages.html?rev=1

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com