[Zope] Zope/Cache/Memory

kevin7kal plone at kevinkal.com
Wed Dec 6 14:30:40 EST 2006

I have a database that is just under 200K objects with plans that it
will grow larger.  The objects are created by using another object with
methods that read files and create the objects from the data in the
files.  When creating the objects, I find I have to manually clear the
cache or else zope eventually crashes with an out of memory error.
There are 4GB of ram on the server.
The same issue arises when I catalog the objects.  I am trying maintain
as much speed as possible, so I do not want to catalog until the end of
the import.

Is there a way to programmatically clear the cache during a large
indexing to avoid out of memory errors?
I am using zeo storages and setting the cache on those to a smaller size
has no real effect in this case, because the cache seems to outgrow its
defined size when it is very active.

Is zope even good for this?  Should I consider another database?  It
still seems that cataloging is an issue whether
the objects are stored in the zodb or elsewhere.

-Kevin