[Zope] Re: New Product called Zoep

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Feb 7 14:55:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:08:24 -0800, Jonathan Cyr
<cyrj at cyr.info> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any concern about naming confusion with the new VOIP browser
> extension called "Zoep" (from Slashdot this morning).
>
> Mozilla Firebird became FireFox, due to naming confusion.   Should these
> folks continue with such a similar name?  Is anyone concerned?

Absolutely a legitimate problem, I think - in addition to the fact that
the Zope trademark isn't owned by the Zope Foundation. (Look out for the
new J2EE Zope technology once the value of the Zope brand exceeds the
assets of Zope Corp).

As an aside, this posting in the comments on Slashdot was hilarious:

"""
Announcing: Ploen

Ploen is an out-of-the-box ready VoIP system that is built on the powerful
and free Zoep client-side VoIP engine. It requires minimal effort to set
up, is deeply flexible, and provides you with a system for managing VoIP
that is ideal for project groups, communities and intranets.

And it goes 0 - 60 mph in 5 seconds, as you can see from the Ploen site.

http://www.ploen.org

"""

Certainly made my day :D