[Zope] migrating a zodb

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Jan 5 18:23:44 EST 2006

At Thursday 5/1/2006 19:55, David Bear wrote:

>I installed zope 2.7.4 from FreeBSD packages. Trouble is that I already
>had python 2.4 installed. It appears the package just used that version of
>python since zope says it is using python 2.4.
>
>I've run in to a few wierd things and would like to get a zope instance a
>little more reliable. I was thinking of just making a copy of my zodb
>file, removing the zope pkgs, then do a source install with python 2.3.
>
>Is the zodb file plug and play transferrable? Can I just copy the zodb
>into the a new zope instance and go?

Yes, usually. That depends a bit on the Products you have installed. When
you remove a product, all its instances will become broken (your zodb might
contain such old instances even if unused). Or, if the product does some
not-so-portable things like storing a full path to an external file as an
attribute (there are some examples...) you'll have some problems if you
install into another directory. But in general, if no such odd things
happen, it's just "plug and play".

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL