[Zope] Applying updates to zope site

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Mon Jan 9 10:35:53 EST 2006

We use a separete lib directory containing versioned Zope Product
directories. That's versioned as in the directory name reflects the
version. These get symlinked into the actual Products directory. For
example:

 lib/Foo-1.10.1
 lib/Bar-2.2.3
 lib/Bar-2.2.4

and in the Products directory a version of each Product is symlinked,
usually the most recent:

 Products/Foo -> ../lib/Foo-1.10.1
 Products/Bar -> ../lib/Bar-2.2.4

We of course keep our development code in a subversion repository, and
tag releases with version numbers. Pushing out a new release then
becomes a simple process:

1) Create a tarball from a repository export, with a versioned directory name
  $ svn export url://to.repository/Foo/tags/1.11.0 Foo-1.11.0
  $ tar czvf Foo-1.11.0.tgz Foo-1.11.0

2) Copy the tarball to the server and extract it in the lib directory
of the Zope server

3) Repoint the Products symlink:
  $ rm Foo && ln -s ../lib/Foo-1.11.0 Foo

4) Restart the Zope server

It should be trivial to have someone with sysadmin experience do steps
2-4 for you.

--
Martijn Pieters