[Zope] Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jan 24 17:54:15 EST 2006

I'm no expert in this realm, but:

Find Chris M's presentation on scaling zope, somewhere on
plope.com.  It doesn't go into great detail on this topic,
but basically, IIRC the strategy is to push personalization
(and final page composition) downstream. This generally means either:

- Squid and ESI

- client-side (javascript)

Then the parts of the page that are *not* personalized can still
be cached very effectively by squid, and you greatly reduce the load
on zope.

The JS approach may allow for browser-side caching of
(some of) the personalization data, if it can be re-used across pages.

-PW

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:27:39PM +0100, Michael Vartanyan wrote:
> How did you go about caching authenticated content?  Any simple
> personalization element like the user name in the corner disqualifies
> the whole page from effective participation in downstream
> proxying/caching. The only thing you can do with such page is to cache
> it for one particular user hoping that s/he may need the same page again
> (which is not likely).
>
> I have an "extreme" situation when 90% of visitors are authenticated.
> Moreover, they participate in dozens of groups that define their access
> to individual content elements. Users are being granted and revoked
> participation in groups very actively, it is a normal situation that a
> few such changes occur within one session. And to finish the picture -
> publication and access times are important for records purposes so the
> current server time should be displayed on all pages.
>
> I use RAM caches for parts/macros of pages that may be identical for all
> users or some of the groups. They help, but the performance is still far
> from being perfect. Any success stories/best practices for such cases?
>
> Thanks.
>
> zope 2.7.6, plone 2.0.5 (going to upgrade soon), freebsd 4.10
>

> Sasha Vincic wrote:
>
> >Yes Plone is slow but with caching you get very good performance. I
> >have boosted performance on plone sites from default 1-3req/s to
> >100req/s and then it was the bandwith that was the bottleneck. The
> >sites where serving both anonymous and authenticated content. I
> >recommend to check out the CacheFu product and documentation in the
> >collective.
> >
> >/Sasha
> >Lovely Systems - www.lovelysystems.com

Paul Winkler