[Zope] Re: Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Wed Jan 25 07:07:45 EST 2006

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:11:04 -0800, Dario Lopez-Kästen
> <dario at ita.chalmers.se> wrote:
>
>> Start by checking the ZODB cache numbers in the zope-conf file (too
>> start simple). IIRC, the default is 5000 objects. Increase that to, say
>> 50.000 or so (you mention that you have a busy site).
>
> Sorry, but this is not good advice. 5000 objects in the cache is normally
> plenty, and you should look into caching the front-end before you even
> consider this. 50K objects in the cache will eat *a lot* of memory, and
> most likely cause swapping.

Not necessarily bad advice... if you have enough memory to hold the complete
zcatalog you will notice significant search time improvements and if your
site does a lot of zcatalog searches this can be a significant improvement.
We are currently running a zcatalog with over 1 million objects and the
catalog and indexes are in excess of 6Gb in size; the more memory the better
the search performance.

Front end caching is only good if you are serving up 'static' pages.  Pages
that are dynamically created, for each user/request, are not a good use case
for front end caching (the exception is if there are portions of the pages,
such a images, etc, which are common across your dynamically created pages,
which will then make use of front end caching).

Jonathan