[Zope] Zope installation woes

russ russ at russtik.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 10:31:06 EDT 2006

Hello Zopesters,

Firstly, I must say that I'm completely new to this as I usually develop
front-end stuff, so excuse my ignorance.  Right... that's out of the way - I
have been trying to install Zope on a server I have access to via SSH.  I've
followed the instructions for installing it from source found here:

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/setup-from-source

I've got as far as making an instance and then attempting to start Zope.
First of all I got this:

root at server [~]# /usr/local/zope/instance3/bin/runzope
/usr/local/zope/zope2.9.3/lib/python/ZServer/utils.py:33:
DeprecationWarning: The zLOG package is deprecated and will be removed in
Zope 2.11. Use the Python logging module instead.
LOG('ZServer', severity[type], message)
/usr/local/zope/zope2.9.3/lib/python/Signals/SignalHandler.py:39:
DeprecationWarning: The zLOG package is deprecated and will be removed in
Zope 2.11. Use the Python logging module instead.
zLOG.LOG('Z2', zLOG.BLATHER, "Installed sighandler for %s" % (

...and then nothing :-|  I tried running it again & got the following:

<snipped output>
ZConfig.ConfigurationError: There was a problem starting a server of type
"HTTPS erver". This may mean that your user does not have permission to bind
to the por t which the server is trying to use or the port may already be in
use by another application. (Address already in use)

The log file reports it's running, yet I cannot seem to access the start
page from http://myserverip:8080.

I don't know what to do next?  Can anyone please help me out?

:(

R.