[Zope] How to best use Zope on SMP machines?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jul 12 11:04:07 EDT 2006

--On 12. Juli 2006 15:54:29 +0000 krokodylek at tenbit.pl wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> I am to use Zope on a SMP machine which has 2 Xeon HT cpus (so 4 logical
> processors). As far as I know Python is not multithreaded, so the full
> potential of the server will not be used... How can I change that?

There is nothing you can change. One Zope instance or ZEO instance per CPU.

> I was thinking about running a couple of identical instances connected
> with ZEO and then using some load balancing between them.

THat's the standard way

> Do you think
> this is a good idea?

Why shouldn't that be a good idea?

> How many instances should I use on a machine I have
> described, four?

Since hyperthreaded CPUs share one real CPU you won't give much performance
over running four processes on two real CPUs...I haven't much performance
improvements in using hyperthreading over  using real CPUs.

-aj