[Zope] Catalog aware

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jul 19 03:46:35 EDT 2006

--On 19. Juli 2006 09:34:58 +0200 Garito <garito at sistes.net> wrote:

> Andreas Jung escribió:
>>

>> --On 18. Juli 2006 15:14:54 +0200 Garito <garito at sistes.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Is possible to create an object (for example a Page Template) and
>>> make it
>>> catalog aware?
>>
>> Look at the CatalogAware mixin class.
> But with this class I could create a new class of PT Catalog aware, isn't
> it?
> I would like to convert a normal PT is this possible?

It makes little sense to index the contents of PTs. PTs are used to present
a view on a particular instance of your class but not for providing content
itself.

>>> I wonder why the objects aren't catalogable by default (I need all my
>>> object catalogables)
>>>

>> Because Zope is not CMF and Zope is not Plone. Because you need this
>> feature it does not mean that everyone needs this feature by default.
>>
>> -aj
> Sure but Is the cost so big?

This is not the question. If you need catalog awareness, either implement
it as stated above or use one of the frameworks....little need to discuss
the pros and cons...by default Zope default content-types  don't depend on
the catalog. CMF and Plone depend on the catalog for various reasons. If
you have the requirement to use a catalog you have the mentioned options.

-aj