[Zope] Ghost user in Zope 2.7.6 on Win32

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 22:49:15 EDT 2006

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:

>We have a strange case of a user disappearing from the acl_users folder.
>
>The user used to be there and has been using the web site for some months but
>today, she reports that she has lost her permissions. Investigation revealed
>that her user id had disappeared from acl_users (it was the only one in
>there) at that folder level.
>
>Using the ZMI, I added her back in and it all seemed OK but then I realised I
>had given her the wrong role. I went back and corrected the role but she
>disappeared again.
>
>Now, even though the folder is showing "There are no users defined", when I
>try and add her back in, I get "A user with the specified name already
>exists".
>
>I experimented a bit more.
>
>I added another user and gave it Manager role. I can't delete this one.
>
>I added another user and gave it one of our roles, Reviewer (the same as the
>original ghost user). This one vanished immediately.
>
>Can anyone offer any clues as to what might be happening here? Is it safe to
>delete and re-create the acl_users folder?
>
>Thanks for any help.

Dale,

I remember something odd like this from like 2 years ago ... did you
delete a role that had been used previously for that user? If so, try
re-adding even if its no longer used and see if that changes anything.

Or maybe you could check the security settings for that folder (and all
folders above) and see if there are orphaned roles and clean them up.

David

ps

Or you could upgrade to a more current version of Zope and maybe it will
just go away ...