[Zope] Export format documentation

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Jun 8 08:48:07 EDT 2006

--On 8. Juni 2006 14:44:39 +0200 Sébastien VINOT
<sebastien.vinot at logisphere.fr> wrote:

>> > I'm wondering if it is possible to load datas for a zexp
>> file without
>> > the old product and then build new instances of my new
>> product. That
>> > is why I'd like to know if there is a good documentation concerning
>> > the internal structure of zexp files.
>>
>> The .zexp files are Python pickles. The XML generated through
>> export/import is basically an XML representation of the
>> Python pickle. The most straight
>> forward solution would be to write a migration script for
>> your stuff and
>> not to look into pickles...but you can of course follow the
>> pickle road if
>> you like it the hard way :-)
>>
>> -aj
>
> You're right, I did not think about XML : thanks for the very good idea
> !

Possibly my reply wasn't clear enough. The pickle format (binary or XML)
appears too low-level in order to write a reasonable migration script.
The recommended solution would be to write a reasonable migration on the
application level based on your current data...

-aj