[Zope] (microsoft) webdav and zope 2.8.4

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Mar 2 13:52:52 EST 2006

Einar Næss Jensen wrote at 2006-3-2 15:50 +0100:
>I'm trying to access a zope site via webdav on port 8181. Dreamweaver
>works ok, but the client in winXP do not want to connect with error:
>"The folder you entered does not seem to be valid. Please choose another."
>
>the traceback on zope is:
>2006-03-02T15:48:41 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog
>http://www.hf.ntnu.no:8181/_vti_inf.html
>NotFound: (Zope errormessage)

Zope will refuse to traverse to any object the id of which starts
with "_". For some unknown reason, you try to traverse to such
an object.

The error messages of MS WebDAV are completely horrible:

   you always get the same error message independently of what goes wrong

I had to use different WebDAV clients or even use TCP loggers
to analyse such cases. In all cases, Zope was to blame
(it failed to recode property values with non ascii content
(generating invalid XML) and its URL quoting was wrong) -- but a better error
message from MS WebDAV had significantly facilitated the
problem analysis...

--
Dieter