[Zope] "No module named rotor"

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 14 17:28:57 EST 2006

Hi Dennis ...

> both contain references.  If you do not need cross Zope compatibility you
> should be able to safely remove the calls to rotor objects.

I was just looking at that.  By cross Zope compatibility do you mean
ability to give the tarball to other people for installation in their
Zope?  If so, then yes that will be a bit of a problem (The intention here
was to distribut to a small group of people).

My understanding though was that the tarball that comes out of the
distribution generator was to just be unrolled in the Zope instance's
Product directory much like python based products though, correct?  In
which case once I manage to get the built tarball it should be A-OK
regardless?

> that.  Rotor is used to "encrypt" and "decrypt" products.  This is an
> obsolete feature of Zope and generally not used (hence, no bug reports).

This is something that I don't understand.  As far as I can tell I'm not
in any shape/way/form requesting encryption and briefly looking at the
appropriate files in the Zope directory I don't see how they couldn't be
triggered.  Is there indeed some way to physically avoid this or do people
simply not build products via the ZMI -> IE is building of ZMI based
Products the obsolete feature or is the rotor encryption?

> Me, I'd strip out rotor and be done with it.

I was just getting ready to do just that and see what happens at the other
end. :)

Thanks
-J