[Zope] Zope + Apache on Quad Debian machine

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Thu Mar 16 08:38:04 EST 2006

a) Your system may be I/O bound - not CPU bound - so you will never
see the CPU max out because the limiting factors are memory and disk/
network access.

b) Make sure to tune Python's checkinterval. While you should
*always* do that, it is especially important on multi-processor/multi-
core hardware. The rule of thumb is to run the pystone benchmark,
divide the "pystones" your machine benchmarks at by 50, and put the
result into etc/zope.conf.

e.g:
python-check-interval 1000

Once you get the checkinterval right, playing with processor affinity
becomes a pointless exercise, in my experience.

c) Always use profiling tools for performance analysis. "Guessing"
rarely leads to effective optimizations. ZopeProfiler and PTProfiler
come to mind.

HTH,
Stefan

--
Anything that happens, happens.  --Douglas Adams