[Zope] Strange errors while 'make'ing

a blob of green gelatin jello at lava.net
Wed Mar 22 19:54:15 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, David wrote:

>> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString
> Blob,
>
> FWIW,
>
> Maybe PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString is the culprit?.
>
> Found this via google
> (http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC-Zope-DA.html):
> *Python Unicode versions:* If you get errors mentioning "unresolved symbol
> PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString" during loading of the mxODBC Zope DA product,
> you are likely using a Linux distribution which ships with a UCS4-build
> (4-byte Unicode) of Python.
>
> RedHat 9 and SuSE 9 and later ship with UCS4 builds of Python and Zope, so
> please download the UCS4 versions of the product.
>
> To find out which Python Unicode you have, please run the following command
> using the Python interpreter used by your Zope installation: |python -c
> "import sys; print (sys.maxunicode < 66000) and 'UCS2' or 'UCS4'"|

Hi David.   Thanks for the input!

When you it says, "...so please download the UCS4 version of the product."
Do they mean the egenix product or the zope product?  It seems as if the
egenix product costs $120 for a license according to the link you sent, so
I'm not sure I want to go down that road.  For a simple installation like
mine, isn't there a built-in database/ODBC to be used?

>From the command it offered, I can see I'm running the UCS4 version, so
perhaps there is something to that line about
"PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString"...  I'll try googling around based off of
that (hadn't thought to google that phrase.. it's a good idea).

Cheers!

Chris aka Blob  :)
----

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.